Saturday 17 March 2007

Successful Hamilton Centenary Fete



A very successful fete was held today at Hamilton State School and the weather was hot but tolerable. Rene and I were there from 11:30 - 7:30 but some people worked even longer hours. I met some lovely people, especially a lady from the State Library. She has offered to direct me towards many resources they have in the English as a Second Language (ESL) area. I even won a raffle and came away with a cricket set, a radio, a tartan duck for my bath (they'll be going to some children I teach) plus a voucher for $40 worth of Instant Scratchies.

The Governor, HE Ms Quentin Bryce, was there in the official party along with the Lord Mayor and many politicians from all levels of government. Our state governors are not political and represent the Queen in matters of state. More on the role can be found at the Government House website http://www.govhouse.qld.gov.au/ I am not a Monarchist, but I find this lady to be extremely fascinating. Rene is so not into any of this stuff and found my interest in her attendance most amusing (for all the wrong reasons).

The Governor is on the left, our friend Karen (today's MC) is on the right and second from the right is Di MacDonald, the school's principal.

No comments: