Saturday 24 March 2007

Iraq again...

I spent over two hours Thursday morning with a mother who has five daughters and a husband who 'disappeared'. She was from Baghdad, a Christian family. After the kidnapping the UNHCR assisted her to escape to Damascus where she applied to emigrate as a refugee to Australia.

She arrived for the interview 20 minutes early. The interpreter arrived 10 minutes late, so for half an hour I had a discussion 'of a sort' with this lovely lady who was trying so hard to use all the little English she had. She shed tears at one point. I already knew why. It was exhausting for me, let alone her.

My heart went out to this person. How tragic! She is enormously grateful for all the help she's getting. With less than three months in this country the whole family is doing remarkably well. The pain of her loss will take for ever to ease.

The war was four this week. Happy anniversary? I think not!

No comments: