Thursday 19 April 2007

Such sadness in this world

Rene and I have a wonderful life. Blessed with enough money, good friends and minus many of the health issues that plague some peoples' lives, we are extraordinarily lucky and fortunate. I'm glad I live in this country, devoid of the major plagues of contemporary society. What makes major news domestically here is very trite compared to that of many nations on this planet.

The shootings in Virginia the other day are terrible, but if we compare that single incident to Port Arthur (Tasmania) some 10 years ago, well, we had 36 deaths from one deranged gunman. It can and does happen anywhere. We were all taxed additionally for a couple of years while we paid for a 'buy back' scheme for weapons. What will happen after this in the States? Well, I hope I don't sound too cynical, but a big fat 'O' is what will happen.

Today at a meeting I heard about what has happened to some of the people I interact with via my job, the refugees from Iraq and Sudan. For some the nightmares continue, even here in comparatively safe Brisbane. I can't imagine what goes on in the minds of the people who inflict torture and murder upon innocent lives. Even the thought of possibly some redemption in another life doesn't help balance the sheer bastardry of this lifetime.

No comments: