Sunday 29 August 2010

Some of my pictures from Cairns last weekend

Some performers at the 2010 CIAF travelled days to get from their isolated island homes to Cairns. One group we saw perform live on an island just 6km from Papua New Guinea.
An example of the colourist art from Lockart River. Most pieces on display were already in gallery collections. I think five galleries had the best of the Lockart River paintings on display to sell.

The festival parade was a local affair, full of local organisations and businesses. It got dark soon after it started.

This Gay Pride float and its ancillary support acts won the first prize giving the organisation $3000 towards next year's float. Good on ya' guys!

I took this shot to show the dashboard screen I work on. I think I need a change, so I'm thinking either a new blog site or a new appearance to the interface. What do you think?

A film crew from BBC2 in England was also in town to shoot the festival for a show on indigenous art hosted by popular Welsh comedian, writer, actor and television personality Griff Rhys Jones. We came across him interviewing an Indigenous painter in one of The Tanks, and it was such a surprise to firstly recognise the voice, then the person. I must say, he was looking rather handsome with perfectly groomed salt and pepper hair and quite trim too.

No comments: