Sunday 8 August 2010

Picture this...January 1975

A former pupil of mine from 35 years ago came up to the Visitor Information Centre at Domestic last Friday while I was on duty. He recognised my name and voice, and we had a lovely chat before he rushed off to check in for a Melbourne flight. He came back a few minutes later and introduced me to his lovely wife. Such a long time to still remember a teacher. I felt quite moved by this chance meeting. Being a teacher doesn't always produce immediate rewards, and one often feels that in the scheme of things a whole year in one's life is quite fleeting; but on Friday I met a man who, as a child, tested my patience beyond belief many times. He has evolved into this normal functioning adult, quite unremarkable if one would pass him by today, yet I still have memories of him with horns and a barbed tail, tempered now by the passage of time plus this chance meeting. Drew - it was a distinct pleasure meeting you.

No comments: