Monday 26 March 2012

Shopping.

We researched last week and today bought a bundle for the net plus TV and phone.  It is with Ziggo, a large Dutch cable company.  We have got just over 100 TV stations, 40 Mb/s download (no cap) for the net and a phone package.  Very, very inexpensive compared to Australia.  The 'Plus' package includes access to BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4.  CNN, BBC World and Aljazeera English means I can have my political fix, plus we'll get loads of Olympic channels simultaneously.  The net speed is the 'normal' speed, we decided we didn't need the lightning fast speed because it is normally more than adequate here anyway.  There is no capping of downloads either. 

We have a perfectly good dryer coming in the container but it is useless where we are going to live because the room where the washing machine/dryer is is internal with no ventilation except for normal extractor vents in the ceiling SO if you are Dutch and reading this, and would like a free clothes dryer that you could place near an open window or door - give us a call.  We have had to opt to buy a condenser dryer - one that uses a heat pump action to extract the water via condensation and collect it (to be tipped out at the end of the cycle).  We have one here in our flat and they are very good indeed.  It has a B energy rating.   

Another purchase today was a 46" (117cm) LED HD TV ready for wifi, games, in fact lots of things we're not into yet BUT maybe when we have it we'll get more motivated to explore.  It has an A+ energy rating which is important when operating a unit for as long as a TV can be used. 

An interesting fact emerged today...well, for me, a sharp learning curve, for Gerry Harvey of Harvey Norman, a sad reality.  A TV we researched was not available at the MediaMarkt store here in Den Haag but available for online delivery from the same parent company's website.  Even if we could have bought it today, the store would charge 35 euro for delivery (we'll have both items delivered for the one charge) - the same company's online store 9 euro 90.  The store here is a franchise owned store and sometimes has variations in products carried, but if I wasn't already there and had bought the clothes dryer earlier on a different floor, I think I'd have turned around and left and got the product I actually had planned on buying for some 25 euros less delivery cost online.  Now I know some people love shopping online for everything (even clothes, I kid you not) but I like the knowledge of the staff and the feeling that you are dealing in a human world BUT I think my thinking is way out of line with economic realities. 

Another 5 euro was added to the purchase price of the dryer to cover its eventual disposal cost at the end of its life.  Apparently this 'fee' is deposited in an environment fund to cover disposal and recycling.  Good idea, but I'd never seen or heard of it, so yet another lesson learned about living in The Netherlands.  I like this one.

The grim, unsmiling picture I took of myself yesterday for the NS Rail Card was unsuitable (too small) so Rene quickly took another one with my camera instead of the computer and it worked.  For 50 euro a year it gives me 40% korting (discount) for travel after 9, until 4pm, then after 6:30pm.  Another person can travel for the same discount with me, so that will be good for the trips I/we plan on doing.

No comments: