Thursday 8 March 2012

Afternoon walk

This afternoon I left Rene to go for a walk and I headed towards Scheveningen on foot, but I actually returned by bus because I was a bit tired.

A block from us is the site of the new International Criminal Court. Currently they are having the former army base demolished.  The replacement army buildings are across the road and look very smart.  I haven't found out yet what the new ICC will look like, but no doubt it will be impressive.

Another couple of long blocks up the road towards Scheveningen I looked right and saw what turned out to be a water tower from 1874.  I walked through the dune area to get there, then walked towards the main beach area, and discovered the first of the many pavilions being erected for the summer.  They go up in March and come down in September (in case of bad winter storms). 

These pavilions provide drinks, meals and offer dancing as well,
starting with morning coffee and going until the wee hours. 
It will be exciting to discover them all,
but there will be too many to explore in one season.

Well, after two and a half hours I returned by bus - I was glad of the seat.  Next time, I'll linger awhile at a convenient place for a reviving coffee or beer...having seasons is kind of nice.

No comments: