Monday 10 March 2008

March 10 already?

Last week we attended the funeral of my sister in law's father, Aiden. It was a full mass with three priests in attendance - the local parish priest (around 80), a 70 year old priest from a church my sister in law Kathy attends, and another priest who was related to the family. Lots of family and friends, from across Queensland. Kathy's Mum and Dad would have celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary this October - what an achievement! Kathy's nursing colleagues/friends helped back at the house and so a very painful experience was lightened somewhat. I wish her mother, Mary, well in adjusting to her new circumstance - it is never easy.

Many references were made to the after life and the Spirit and many other things that true believers believe in. Sadly, I don't. I sort of wish I did since it gives great solace to those who do - but maybe I'll change my point of view in years to come. I know several friends who regularly pray for me - I'm just too cynical I guess. Not sure...

We've been very social this last weekend with a card night at nearby Palmwoods which went until 2am then a trivia night in Brisbane, again to bed after 2am, and last night to a Dutch neighbour's apartment for dinner - absolutely delicious. Today, Monday, Rene and I went into Maroochydore and parked at Cotton Tree and went for a walk around the shops and across the beach, around the point into Maroochydore, lunch at The Deli Co (delicious!) and home again - after a visit to a hardware store. I'm ready for my three day teaching week, fully rested.

Last Saturday we called in to see how the house is progressing. The frame is almost completed, and it now looks quite large. I love the height of the ceilings, 270cm tall downstairs and up to 310cm upstairs. We haven't been to the top floor yet, but for the first timer we could see the depth and width of the front deck where we'll do lots of living and entertaining. Very nice indeed. Because we jut out into the park we don't have a road in front of us, just a driveway, so we are set back just 3m from the boundary at the front.

Only about 10 days to Easter. It is really early this year. The Queensland school vacation for the end of Term 1 is a fortnight after the Easter break, a first in recent memory. We have visitors for the term break but as yet nobody for the Easter break. Maybe we'll go somewhere, who knows?

Next Saturday in Brisbane Rene is attending an Apple tutorial in James St, Fortitude Valley. He's had his iMac for around a month or more now and just loves it to pieces. This tutorial will guide him through things that he's not been able to learn himself. I will spend the time at a movie at the Palace Centro next door, then we're off to Lota for dinner and the night. Any suggestions for what I should go and see?

Oh, we saw "Pan's Labyrinth" on DVD the other evening. What an excellent film. This Spanish movie deserved all of its awards - catch it if you can, especially on DVD because the 'extras' DVD is really fascinating to watch afterwards.

No comments: