Monday 3 March 2008

Bloody cold!

No, not the weather (although it has cooled off a bit), it's my head. Since last Thursday night I've been invaded by bugs that make my throat sore, my eyes water, my nose run. Four days later I'm still sleeping in the spare room - it's no fun coughing, sneezing and feeling restless and making your partner suffer too, so for the fourth night I sleep in quarantine.

You, the regular reader, will surely realise that I'm not prone to bouts of melancholy, but over the weekend I felt really flat, and the last thing I wanted to do was update this blog. Therefore one can only conclude with the arrival of this update that I'm feeling much better (I'm presently reading Gore Vidal's "Point to Point Navigation" - does it show?).

A week ago I did rise very early at 4:15am to catch the arrival of the Queen Victoria off the coast here at Caloundra. Well, I, along with many others, missed the passing of the 90 000 tonne cruise ship because it arrived off the coast an hour earlier than scheduled. After 45 minutes of staring out to a murky, dark ocean I set out for Brisbane to catch its arrival at the port. The whole thing was being covered by ABC Radio in Brisbane, that's how I found out about its 7am arrival, not 8am as in all the media and even port details online. I made it as it was just berthing, and ten minutes later the P&O Oriana also arrived, and the two ships blasted their horns deafening the port. It was proceeding to the cruise terminal, whereas the Victoria had to berth at the merchant vessel wharves since it's too big to fit under the Gateway Bridge. Regardless, I met some very interesting folk also welcoming the ship, and to say it looked impressive would be an understatement. Very beautiful indeed. I had my camera as well as phone camera, so I took

plenty of pictures.

The house is moving ever upwards. The first floor framing was reached by last Friday and today the carpenters said the roof trusses would be coming either Wednesday or Thursday. I saw it for the first time today, but I didn't walk around because it's a work site and it's frowned upon. Late this Wednesday Rene and I hope to have a good walk around after the builders have gone.

Finally today I should add the sad news that my sister in law Kathy's father passed away at 5:45am last Friday. The funeral is in Toowoomba on Wednesday morning. Aiden suffered many setbacks in the health department and the final months were a challenge to both him and his family. He was a real gentleman in every sense of the word. Funny that he came up to me after my dad's funeral in 1989 and, slightly ashen, said he really thought he'd be the first one to go. Well, Aiden, you ended up having a bloody good innings. Rest in peace.


(The final picture is sunset from our balcony last Friday)

No comments: