Saturday 25 August 2007

Saturday August 25

Yesterday Rene and I attended the wedding of my nephew Simon and Tracey. It was a delightful event that had to be held indoors because of the unseasonal but wonderful rain we've been receiving here in Brisbane over the last week. There are floods on the Sunshine Coast where they've received upwards of 700mm in the past 24 hours. We've had much less than that, but more importantly some of the rainfall is actually in our dams catchment areas so we are breathing a collective sigh of relief at the present. Far from being enough, it is at least SOMETHING.




Back to the wedding...it was very nice indeed and the bride looked stunning and everyone looked happy. My parents would have been so proud to see their grandson extending the reach of the 'Langdale' name in this country.




I may have a little too much to drink because at one stage (quite early on if I remember correctly) my niece asked me the name of this blog and I said "Eternal Blow" instead of Beau - well, you can imagine how much reaction that received.




This morning we went to a little chat session lead by the guy who had the workshop a couple of months ago on Aboriginal reconciliation. It was tough to back up at 8am following a wedding and reception last night, but the three hours went by quickly. No easy solutions, but it provided food for thought regarding the communities we'll visit next week in Central Australia.



We leave Monday night for Darwin. On Tuesday we pick up a 4WD and drive through Katherine towards Lajamanu, a very remote desert community. Rene is visiting the art centre there to buy art wholesale. We continue on towards Alice Springs with one night at Rabbit Flat Roadhouse (Australia's most remote) camped by the road (there's no accommodation). This year it is operating 7 days a week, whereas last year it only operated Friday to Monday.




I found some ads on the net the other day and I'd like to share them with you. They appear quite clever to me, I hope you like them too.








PS With the issue of building uppermost in my mind these days - well, along with work, the new business and a trip to the Territory - this picture tickled my funnybone. I'm loathe to say 'Only in America' but, well, I think this is applicable:


No comments: