Monday 23 June 2008

Crook

I've been crook this week. You have to be an Aussie to understand that 'crook' means unwell. Now, you can also 'go crook' at someone and tell them off. Yes, we have the Watergate-type crooks too, but in Australian English one never wants to make the learning of the language too easy for 'foreigners'. Suffice to say I'm better, the cold or whatever it was has gone, although I'm still a little thick in the head (but what's new? I hear you cry :) I've banished myself to the spare room so as not to annoy Rene too much with my snoring - I loathe a blocked nose.

On the subject of 'crook', I have a photo somewhere of my mother leaning over a town sign for Crook in Co Durham in the north of England. Her sister was bemused as both Mum and I laughed our heads off over anywhere being called 'crook'. Yes, I know, you had to be there.
A week last Friday Rene and I popped over to Straddie - North Stradbroke Island - just for lunch. It is our most favourite place around here. Friends just back from the States had an American friend visiting, so they stayed at Beachies, a delightful house overlooking Dead Man's Beach - terrific location, shame about the name. We went over by water taxi and were met by our friend Polly and her American friend Joy. We picked up things for lunch at home, including 2kg of delicious freshly caught prawns. Six of us waded our way through a mountain of foodfor lunch, walked up the end of the road to a whale watching station and promptly saw two hump back whales cavorting in the Pacific - just delightful. Oh, I nearly forgot, we also saw a koala in the tree right over the road where we bought the seafood. My picture of the tree has it in it, on the lower left corner, but I'll get a better picture from Joy's beaut camera (mine was only the phone camera) and post it later.

We stayed that night with friends in Brisbane and went to the house in the morning to see the first pour of the concrete patio at the rear and half the side path. We needed the side done so that the smaller thin 3000L tank, the air conditioner unit and solar hot water collector can allstand on the same level. We also had a pad poured for the 5000L tank. Painters have been there for a week, but I haven't been inside the house at all - too messy with covering everywhere. We even now have our pergola over the rear terrace. I was just on the phone to Ray our builder and he said three to four weeks tops. We're giving notice tomorrow.

Week last Saturday we went to Toowoomba for a dinner party and had a lovely time - but it was freezing cold. Kay's home is underfloor heated so inside was fine, but outside it was windy and very chilly. Food as usual was delicious, and I took a phonecam picture of the dessert...mmmmmmm!

Rene's sister and her partner have this gorgeous dog they imported from England. This is Splinter, now considerably bigger than the last time he was featured here.

I was sent this yesterday. Couldn't resist including it. NASA, eat your heart out!

I'M VOTING REPUBLICAN
So says the title of this youtube clip. Check it out, it is seriously clever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQJ9Xp0xxU

What a shame the Dutch team lost its quarter final to Russia. I have to say it appeared that the Russians were the better team on the night, but it's sort of sad for the Netherlands. Guus Hiddink, the Dutch born Russian coach, said he felt like a traitor a bit, but not enough to stop him from willing on his team to win.

This delightful story came across my screen this week from Switzerland. It is totally fabulous because I've witnessed a sea of orange in Holland when the last Euro Cup was on in 2004. At the end of my street was an enclave where every square centimetre of ground and air was filled with the most iridescent orange I've ever seen. I know it featured on television during the Cup season. Here's the article from the paper:

Swiss railways change colour as Dutch soccer fans get confused

Switzerland's national railway has told its workers to stop using their normal orange reflective vests after confused Dutch soccer fans started following them on to the tracks.
A railway spokesman said the changed strip had been prompted by an incident in the Swiss capital Berne when a group of Netherlands supporters followed a worker on to the lines after mistaking his uniform for their traditional orange dress.
"We have now given out yellow vests to all our staff who have to work on or cross the tracks in Basel, where the Dutch fans are now based," Oliver Tamas said.
"It has raised a few eyebrows but we think it's a necessary measure to ensure the safety of our guests."
Tamas said that 1,500 railway staff involved in fan co-ordination work had already been given yellow vests to help them stand out from the Dutch supporters.
Police in Berne also ditched their orange vests after Netherlands were drawn to play all three of their group stage matches in the city.
A Basel police spokesman said on Friday that the yellow vests used by Berne police had now been sent to Basel in time for Saturday's quarter-final between Netherlands and Russia.
- Reuters

Tonight on SBS here in Australia is the latest episode of Top Gear from Britain. Rene and I just love it, so do many of our friends (male and female). They've just announced the three hosts of the Australian version of Top Gear. This clip will show you the three blokes lucky enough to score the gig. Oh, they also this week announced the American Top Gear guys too. The Brits have a great formula here and I'm so pleased to see it being expanded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0hKkT2UmE

I was searching for a Dutch radio station the other day and came across this useful link. Not only is it good for Holland but also virtually anywhere else in the world. Click on it and check it out. Go to different countries and hear what their programs are like. http://www.surfmusic.de/country/netherlands.html

Next week I'm on winter vacation for a fortnight. We'll be packing (again!) and preparing for the move. I've set myself the task of learning how to imbed video on my blog. Hopefully next time instead of seeing a link to a video you'll actually have the picture to merely click on to activate.

No comments: