Thursday 19 July 2007

What a day!



It's Thursday and it has been quite a day. This morning I found out that a police officer had been shot and killed a couple of blocks from one of my schools. This is a really rare occurrence and I was worried for my refugee kids and parents who may have been in the area. Fortunately they weren't. It's bad enough knowing this sort of thing happens at all, let alone near one's home. I know one of my Korean mums was a little startled at the news. Sad for the police officer's family and colleagues. A tragic loss.








I've also today met one new Sudanese pupil from Melbourne who has moved up here. She makes the third in two days. Yesterday I met two Danish children who have come to live here permanently.








Just before 3 o'clock a parent at my last school today came up to me and asked if we had ever met, I seemed familiar. I found out she was at Gabbinbar many years ago (at least 24) and I had taught her brother. Small world again.








This evening I booked tickets for three friends and myself to see Miss Saigon which opened here last week for the first time ever. I hope it is brilliant. I'm seeing it without Rene (it's not his thing).




Also not his thing are cars. I booked a day trip flying to Sydney in October for the Australian International Motor Show. It'll be me on my own, but I don't mind. Very cheap airfare too, just A$99 each way (incl taxes).

No comments: