Saturday 20 March 2010

5th wet weekend in a row


(Photographed at our weekly trivia night recently)

It hasn't rained continuously over each weekend, but frequently enough for me and the rest of Brisbane to be over it for a while. Our dams are 98% full, our gardens verdant and lush, and our rain water tanks full to overflowing. I went and pruned a whole load of bushes and small trees this morning just so the jungle doesn't get away from me.


Right now the H2O is merely drizzly stuff, but we have a cyclone off the coast of Queensland expected to cross the mainland late tomorrow and expected to bring with it yet more heavy rain.


I must admit the light drizzly rain is very refreshing whilst it remains 26 C right now, so the fact that I put a whole load of washing on the line to dry speaks volumes for my optimism. If I have to bring it in tomorrow and finish it off in the drier I will, but I really try to avoid using it ever.


Rene has a new exhibition which opened last night - www.centredart.com.au - and we had a few visitors, but so far today he has had more visitors. It's not yet 2pm and more are expected. The photo of Rene at the top left of this page appeared in this week's local paper.


I have a final Saturday shift at the airport 4-8pm at International, and from next weekend my colleague and myself are going to trial Sunday 4-8 - we anticipate it being a little busier. I still enjoy the Airport Ambassador shifts, and will enjoy it even more so next term when my school load reduces back to 3.5 days a week.


I think I mentioned before that we saw Avatar in 3D (loved the effects, got bored with the film though towards the end) but we saw Alice In Wonderland in 3D a fortnight ago and loved it. I like Tim Burton movies a lot, and Johnny Depp is always good value. We also saw Avenue Q, the puppet and actor musical (billed as Sesame Street meets South Park) and I quite frankly loved it to pieces (it's on at QPAC Playhouse until March 28). The cast, the music, the musicians all contributed to a wonderful night out, and I loved it so much I bought a set of buttons to wear out when I'm feeling brave plus the CD of the Broadway cast. I have to note that to my ears the current American cast do every bit as good a job as the original Broadway cast, and perhaps even a slightly bit better in some roles. Top show - but I wish I could get the damned music out of my head! I keep humming 'Everyone's a Little Bit Racist' all the bloody time!

My glasses broke, so now I finally have new ones. I couldn't find a previous pair to use in the interim, so I settled for a pharmacy pair that were perfect for the left eye, not for the right. I struggled for 10 days like that. Not a pretty sight! Oh, I do love the new ones, but you'll have to wait for a picture.

Two weeks to Easter. Rene and I both have a whole week off then from school, so we plan on catching up on things around the house and generally sleeping. I am going to include a trip up to Toowoomba on a gallery day when Rene is at home, but apart from that I intend to attempt to relax a bit. I have to go and get ready for my airport shift, so for now, tata!

No comments: