Sunday 26 July 2009

Half way through winter

What winter? We have had cold nights but gloriously warm to even hot days. No rain sadly, and we do need some now. I met some Germans on a boat trip yesterday and they said the weather was like it was when they left home a week before, and that was their summer.


It is amazing how we here in Brisbane just take the place for granted. Just yesterday I went on a trip to Tangalooma, a resort on Moreton Island, just 75 minutes from Brisbane. From there our group (of Airport Ambassadors) went whale watching where we saw a rare Southern Right Whale and a pod of three humpbacks. (edit) A day later the sighting of the Right Whale has made the evening news - it is that rare!


The trip was delightfully rough for a few minutes where the protected island water meets the open sea. The trimaran certainly handled it well, and just plowed through the worst of the waves.



It was a bit showery just before noon at the island, but they soon cleared and the afternoon was quite hot and calm. The photo is of an unusual whale, the Southern Right - named because it would right itself and not sink when killed, whereas the humpback would sink and would require filling with gas to be dragged back to shore. The Southern Right was just feeding in the shallow waters inside the bay, and circled us, feeding constantly. The humpbacks came very close to the vessel (you are not allowed to approach them though) and we had a look up close at three juveniles. The island also has dolphin and dugong tours, so it is well worth a stay or just simply a day trip like we did.




We have had two nights in a row out to dinner with friends just returned from trips overseas. It was lovely hearing their stories, and they also wanted to hear details about our forthcoming marriage. I must mention here that documentation has to be supplied to The Netherlands in The Hague to verify that (1) I have never been married in The Netherlands, (2) I'm not currently married in Australia - requires certificate that I'm single and have no impediment to marriage, then (3) my birth certificate from England copied within the last six months and verified (has an Apostille Stamp applied). Although I have my original birth certificate from 1950 it is not good enough. Rene has has also to supply Apostille Stamped documents. There are going to be quite a few registered mail items flowing from Australia to Britain and Holland in the next few weeks.


Ten days ago I received my new Australian passport, and this is a new 'e' passport complete with beautiful designs on every page. In Australia I can go up to a machine to have immigration processed on departure and arrival here in Australia. I merely smile at the camera and press my passport down on a scanner and 'hey presto!', you're processed.







We have a house warming at my nephew's new home on the south side next weekend, and I have six of my next eight shifts at the airport in International, so that will be fascinating. I've already done one there, the remainder at Domestic.


My hours at one school have been slightly extended with the arrival of two twin 10 year old orphaned boys from Guinea in West Africa. They speak Pidgin English and Vai - an African language from the border region of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. They are most charming, well groomed and well mannered. Their grandmother here in Brisbane will look after them. My extra support will be for their teacher so I will work both within the classroom and possibly withdraw them also for some special cultural education - I bet you didn't know we Aussies have a culture, but we do :)


Just eight weeks until I fly to the US. A colleague came back from the States last week and whilst she and her family were in Las Vegas, she stayed where I recommended - Signatures, behind the MGM Grand. She was most impressed, and brought me back some Ghirardelli chocolate plus some Cointreau (ok, a miniature).

No comments: