Friday 26 December 2008

Snow? I mean, I like snow, but this much???

Christmas morning saw an email arrive from my friend Merle in Oregon. She sent pictures of the snow, also told us they had lost power, along with many thousands of others.


She stated: We have been snowed over since the 12th. This will be the snowiest Christmas in Portland's history and the most severe snowstorm in 40 years (so far!) We have 16 inches in the road and in areas without snowdrifts but we've removed 46 inches from the upper deck. Yes, nearly 4 feet! At least we haven't lost electricity as thousands have. That was before she sent the second email saying it had gone off.

I also read that Canada was the most covered in snow in nearly 40 years, with just one province not on emergency alert.

A friend in Canada said it had been -42 (before the wind chill) and that the ski resorts had been closed for several days. I know I said that I like a cold Christmas. but frankly not that much. To my Northern Hemisphere friends I say; keep warm, keep dry and stay safe - too late for my Canadian-based Aussie friend who is laid up for 6 weeks with a broken leg from a skiing mishap.

No comments: