Tuesday 22 July 2008

Time to move...

It's Tuesday evening. We are essentially packed ready for the removalist tomorrow. I should add that Rene has done 90% of the packing, and a very good job too. He never does things by half. Updates are going to be very rare for the next month whilst we wait for our phone then our internet to come on-line. Don't remind me that it is supposed to be 2008. This is Australia. We still don't even have a choice of landline provider. We have to go with Telstra, Optus don't have their local exchange up and running yet (and you never get a straight answer when you enquire as to when this is likely to be). We are getting a naked ADSL2+ program from internode and we'll run a VOIP off it again. 'Naked' means it is data only, you can't connect a normal landline phone service to it. That suits us. We've been told it'll be 20+ working days until we're connected - good grief!



I have got new work, an extra few hours that'll take me back to full time. I said I'd do some extra hours when I returned to Brisbane, but now I've become full-time again, but only until the end of the year, and it's at a school I was at 2 years ago, and I liked it a lot.



Our driveway is done, looks absolutely marvellous, and tomorrow it'll be solid enough for a truck to go on it. I've already dropped two cars full of 'stuff' at the house yesterday and again this morning, lots of small fiddly things that are better off transported 'loose'. I'll try and send some nice pictures next week, not sure how I'll manage that, but I'll find a way.



We're off out now to our last dinner here. A neighbour has arranged a dinner party for us as a farewell. I think she said she was doing something Japanese. Anyway, I'm out of time, and sitting here in a brightly lit room bereft of paintings and nicknacks it doesn't feel like home any more. This is our fifth move in three years, and I assure you, dear reader, that it will be the last for quite a while.



I leave you with a picture of a suggestion I read on the net for the name of Qantas' second A380 jet, "Kath and Kim". I can just imagine the confused looks on the faces of various visitors to airports around the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey owen and rene
Congratulations on getting to your new house and moving in!!!Who would think driveways and internet could be such a tricky thing.
I am still relaxing this week on LSL while pete toils away under the guise of truckie at many schools dropping off fairs.
He starts at corrective services academy on the 4th of August and then will be in training for 10weeks. He will live in at Wacol as the drive is way too long almost 2hours each way.
I am now investigating some new positions for next year hopefully on Bribie with a little luck.
All else wet and starting to unwind from the hype of the wedding.
will send some snaps when u go on line again
Much love
Ev xxxxxx