Friday 26 October 2007

Another week gone

Yes, the 26th of October already, and tomorrow Rene's birthday. Yesterday he received a wonderful package from Holland - a photo in a frame. The photograph was of the entire Dings Clan, including pets. Tomorrow night there are eight of us going to a favourite restaurant of ours for dinner. We have our own wine (if you don't know, it's BYO wine even though it's fully licensed). We have our own room at the restaurant, and I just know Rene'll have a terrific time.

Sunday night we're going with a Taiwanese friend of ours to a Sunnybank restaurant to have crab. It's a tough life!

Today Rene and I sorted out things with our financial advisor, which lead to a second trip into the city to see a bank manager. We've had terrific service from both people today and above all it was very personal but efficient. Quite impressed! Oh, we also went in and out twice on the bus for the first time (we always used the train from Clayfield). The buses were fast, efficient, and the dedicated express lanes - they're elevated or tunneled where necessary - meant a short 15 minute trip each way. If only we had them everywhere. There are a couple of new ones being built now, and a major northern one matching the tunnels being built at present for the cars crossing Brisbane for something like 11 kilometres. Major activity and expenditure, but absolutely essential.

We should be moving to the Sunshine Coast somewhere around the 12th of November (Kay, if you're reading this in Prague or Italy - it'll be safe to come home again haha) and we'll have one apartment for the business and a neighbouring apartment in the same complex to live in.

A week on Sunday will see the exciting and challenging selection process for the exterior colours/ interior fittings for the house. We have been collecting catalogues and brochures, website links and all sorts of stuff in order to make up our minds quickly and correctly. It'll be a lot of fun. Done this twice before from scratch and it is a really lovely feeling to have a blank sheet and get everything just where you want it.

The Federal Election campaign continues with lots of pork barrelling from both sides. I'm still hoping for a thrashing for Howard, but I'll settle merely for a defeat of any size.

Rene today showed me the beta version of his website for Centred Art. It's looking great. Look out for the official launch any day now.

Deborah Kerr died last week. The impression of her was always that of being a star without that brashness that seems to accompany so many people courting the term these days (OH, I'M SOUNDING OLD!) but you get my drift. Apart from "The King and I", that famous kiss and other well known movies, the one that has always stayed in my mind is one I last saw on B&W television waaay back in 1969 when I was going to the University of Queensland here in Brisbane. It was called "The Innocents" and was a chilling drama involving seemingly innocent, yet wicked, children. No, I haven't seen it since, but when I saw it on TV here in '69 it was the second time I had seen it, and it made the hairs on my neck stand up. Not sure if it's available on DVD, but worth a look if you like being frightened.

I smell cooking - we sure eat well here in this house. The other day we had tortilla soup with all the Mexican trimmings (awesome!), Spanish rice and tortillas, last night I cooked tuna steaks (yumm) and I think tonight we're having BBQ'd steaks plus oven roasted vegetables.

I love my life!

(ciao for now, have a brilliant weekend)

No comments: